The Commanders’ offensive line was a strength. Now it’s a question mark.

The Washington Commanders’ offensive line, right, entered preseason as a position of strength before injuries raised concerns. (Geoff Burke/Imagn Images/Reuters Connect)

It was overlooked in a season where so much else went wrong, but the offensive line was a position of strength for the Washington Commanders last year. That made General Manager Adam Peters comfortable going the entire offseason without making a significant addition to the offensive trenches.

Read more Republicans notch win in Missouri congressional redistricting fight

While Peters was criticized by some for releasing center Tyler Biadasz in February, the O-line still wasn’t considered anything to worry about headed into training camp. That’s no longer the case, however, with the season three weeks away.

Everything changed when left tackle Laremy Tunsil suffered a torn triceps earlier this month. There’s no replacing an elite player like Tunsil, and his loss immediately lowered the ceiling for the entire offense. But the coaching staff is confident in third-year offensive lineman Brandon Coleman’s ability to step into that spot.

“That’s a good feeling, that when you put the work in and your moment is called, that you’re ready,” Coach Dan Quinn said earlier this month. “He really had an outstanding spring and summer.”

It’d be one thing if Coleman’s ability to replace Tunsil was the only question mark regarding the offensive line, but it’s not.

Center Nick Allegretti returned to practice Tuesday after missing significant time with a calf strain, but he left the field early Wednesday after experiencing tightness in the same calf. He won’t play against the Detroit Lions on Saturday and will be reevaluated next week. Julian Good-Jones has worked with the starters at center with Allegretti out.

“There’s some [concern],” Quinn said Thursday. “Anytime you’re not getting a lot of reps for a whole training camp, that’s a big deal. Even for a player as experienced as Nick is, you need that time on task. The silver lining is the imaging didn’t show a setback. He’s just not quite there yet.”

Even if Allegretti gets healthy, there’s some uncertainty about his ability to play at a high level. He’s spent most of his career at guard, but he’s been tasked with replacing Biadasz at center.

Given Allegretti’s unfamiliarity with the position, his lack of reps with quarterback Jayden Daniels and his need to familiarize himself with offensive coordinator David Blough’s scheme, it’s fair to question his ability to play at a high level to start the season. Starters typically don’t play in the final preseason game, so it’s likely that Week 1 will be Allegretti’s first time snapping the ball to Daniels in live action.

Right tackle Josh Conerly Jr. called Allegretti a “great communicator” and said he seems like a “natural center.” Right guard Sam Cosmi, who has been teammates with Allegretti since 2024, also gave him props.

“My relationship with Nick is really good. And especially with communication, we’re very open and honest with what we see, what we don’t like, what we do like, what we can work on from that standpoint,” Cosmi said. “I think he’s a great player.”

Commanders offensive linemen Sam Cosmi, right, and Julian Good-Jones during training camp. (Nick Wass/AP)

Cosmi has looked more like himself now that he’s 19 months removed from the torn ACL that prematurely ended his 2024 season. Left guard Chris Paul, though, has had a bumpy training camp. He lost about 20 pounds this offseason to improve his mobility but has struggled to match his past level. He was in a position battle with Coleman before the injury to Tunsil. With Coleman locked in at left tackle, Washington can’t afford for Paul to take a step back.

The Commanders are also banking on a big leap from Conerly in his second season. Although Conerly weighs about the same as he did as a rookie, he’s trimmed fat and added muscle. Training with Tunsil in the offseason, he dialed in his nutrition and started lifting heavier.

While that’s paid dividends with his physique, Conerly has been up-and-down in practice. Asked Wednesday to assess his training camp, he said it hasn’t been “anywhere I want it to be.”

Read more New aircraft carrier arrives in Arabian Sea to replace long-stationed USS Abraham Lincoln

“My hands,” Conerly said when asked to specify where he wants to improve. “As far as my hand usage and placement in terms of when I punch, I feel like [that] is where it needs to [improve]. … Getting into my stance the right way is another big thing for me. Just making sure the stance is consistent [whether it’s] run or pass, not giving away any tells. Myself, watching, I can tell when I’m about to pass block and when I’m about to run block. So, fixing those little cues.”

Quinn announced that several starters will play against the Lions on Saturday at Ford Field, though he didn’t specify the players. Asked whether Daniels will suit up, Quinn said it’ll depend on the health of players around him. …

Backup defensive tackle Jer’Zhan Newton had surgery to repair a torn pectoral Wednesday and will be sidelined indefinitely.

“He’ll be back in town today and begin his process,” Quinn said. “He’ll miss a significant amount of time. How much that is? I don’t know the answer.”

To keep Newton eligible to return this year, the Commanders would have to place him on injured reserve with a designation to return on roster cut day. That would make him eligible to return after missing four games. Washington can only use that designation on two players, and one of those spots is already reserved for left tackle Laremy Tunsil (triceps).

Newton had a solid training camp but not an exceptional one, and he wasn’t particularly effective in the preseason win over the Miami Dolphins before suffering his injury.

The injury opens the door for other defensive tackles to make the roster. Ricky Barber stood out against the Dolphins with five tackles, one sack and two quarterback hits. Shy Tuttle, Byron Cowart and Maurice Hurst II could also be in the mix. …

The NFL suspended defensive end Dorance Armstrong for one game for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. Armstrong won’t appeal the decision.

The suspension stemmed from a May 2025 arrest, after which he was charged with assaulting a police officer with bodily injury, resisting arrest and public intoxication, according to court records. Armstrong accepted a plea deal and won’t face any prison time, but he’ll miss the Commanders’ season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 13. …

Running back Rachaad White suffered a hamstring injury in the joint practice against the Dolphins last week, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal team matters. He won’t play against the Lions but should be cleared to return sooner than later. He was at practice Thursday but didn’t participate.

“We’re just being smart,” Quinn said. “He’s 100 percent chomping at the bit to get going.” …

Quarterback Marcus Mariota (MCL); running backs Jeremy McNichols (quad) and White; Tunsil and Allegretti; linebackers Jordan Magee (shoulder), K’Lavon Chaisson (knee) and Odafe Oweh (calf); defensive tackles Tim Settle Jr. (calf) and Newton; and cornerback Trey Amos (ankle) missed practice Thursday.

Read more A fake poll tested media and poll trackers. Here’s who passed and failed.

Asked for an update on Amos, Quinn said that “the arrow is trending up.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *